Social icons

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Sophia Amoruso, #GIRLBOSS Book Review


I love inspirational books. I love books which teach you how to better yourself or tell the true life stories of how inspirational people got to where they are today. It's pretty clear that I want to work in the fashion industry when I'm older, so there was no second guessing when I purchased #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso, the CEO and founder of Nasty Gal clothing!

“What I hate about luck is that it implies being devoid of responsibility. It implies that you can do nothing and then step into success as easily as stepping into a pile of dog poop on the sidewalk. It implies that success is something given to a knighted and often undeserving few. Luck tells us that we don’t control our own fate, and that our path to success is something that we don’t control our own fate, and that our own fate, and that our path to success or failure is written by someone, or something, entirely outside ourselves. Luck lets us believe that whatever happens, whether good or bad, it’s not to our credit or our fault. That is why I don’t buy luck.”
-Sophia Amoruso


A lot of people think that Sophia was lucky with the success of Nasty Gal and in her book she clearly explains why. I mean she set up an online eBay account selling vintage clothes when she was bored at work, and her career took off from there- how much more lucky can you get?! But she makes it clear she doesn't believe in luck, she believes in hard work and "getting shit done."

One thing I love about this book is how open and honest Sophia is about her life. She gets straight to the point about the lowest times in her life like when she resorted to shoplifting and getting involved with the wrong people and her writing style shows that she gives no fucks about what people think about her past. I mean who are we to judge? She's the one with the 280 million dollar net worth...


One thing I especially loved about her book was her encouraging tips on how wow employers when trying to land a job in the fashion industry/retail and hey, if they work for the CEO of Nasty Gal then they're sure as hell good enough for me!

Sophia Amoruso is the perfect example of a #girlboss who's passion, drive and determination is truly inspiring. After reading her book I can now say she is one of my favourite female entrepreneurs in the fashion industry and her whole journey to where she is today is truly motivating to always work hard and never give up on what you want.
Have you ever read #GIRLBOSS?
Cloe xox

1 comment

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.