Social icons

Thursday, April 6, 2017

Studying International Fashion Promotion at Manchester Metropolitan University

When trying to choose which university course to do (and changing my course on UCAS 3 times), one of the things I found affected my decision the most was the fact that there just wasn't enough information about certain courses I wanted to do! I wanted real, honest information from students about what both the course and the university was like- and no matter how hard I tried I just couldn't find that. 
Manchester Metropolitan University (MMU) is known for its fashion courses and fashion faculty, and it just so happens one of my best friend does one of its most popular courses- international fashion promotion.

So want to know what the course is really about? I decided to ask Emma some questions! (and don't worry she's brutally honest...)





What kind of career path do you want to do in the future?

Something styling based. It was always my aspiration to work on the Dior perfume campaigns, just because of the beautiful dress the model wears. I still love that dress, but now I want to work with companies less mainstream in the industry as it will give me more opportunity to express my creativity.

What made you want to study international fashion promotion?
Fashion has always been a big part of my life, more than just an interest. Even through primary school, any poems or stories I would have to write would be about clothes or shopping so it was kind of inevitable that I would grow up doing something fahison based. I like designing, however Im not that great at drawing so I decided to go into styling which is my where my heart really lies. Fashion promotion is quite a broad subject and very trend and style based, so a course that involves reading Vogue and dressing people in nice clothes was always going to be very appealing.

What made you choose MMU to do your course?
Manchester is second best to London for fashion, its really up and coming location for the arts, and it is very diverse.

Is the course mainly exam or coursework based?
100% coursework, thank God!

How many lectures do you have per week?
Three, we have workshops as well though.



How big are the workshop classes roughly?
About fifteen of us.

What are some of the assignments youve done?
My last one was to create a zine (a magazine without ads) which was pretty fun. I got to organise shoots and write about topics I was interested in, both fashion and art. Another was to create a video based on a sub-culture of our choice. This was a good one for me because my final major project for foundation art last year was all about subcultures, and Im really interested in 90s ravers anyway so Id already watched documentaries on that sub culture.

Whats the best and worst thing about your course?
Best is that there is no right or wrong answer. We get do do whatever we want creativity wise, so long as it roughly fits the brief. Worst is probably that there is a lot of coursework, so trying to be creative 24/7 gets a bit draining at times. 

Would you recommend your course and MMU to others?
It depends on the persons attitude towards fashion. I wouldnt recommend it to someone who likes clothes and looks towards Missguided for style inspiration because that isnt what fashion is about. But to someone who streams the live Fashion Week shows and already spends their time reading articles on Dazed and Harpers Bazzar, then yes, definitely.

What university courses are you currently studying/want to study?
Cloe xox

5 comments

  1. This was so interesting, as someone finishing their final year at Uni, I literally forgot how hard it is to initially pick your course! I'm finishing a three year Media degree in Sydney, Australia!!
    Lauren x

    lparkin.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I literally changed my course about 3 times before I even got to university because I just didn't know what I wanted to do, haha! Aw thats amazing! Good luck in your final year! X

      Delete
  2. Aw I loved reading this style of post! It's always interesting to read about everyone's education and career journeys. It sound's like a fun course and with so much room to be creative x

    http://itslaurenvictoria.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some of the things she's done for assignments, they look quite fun!x

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.